- 1927-2023 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1.4 m of textual records and other material (12 boxes)
Name of creator
The Faculty of Music was created in 1918. The Senate of the University withdrew its affiliations with various music schools (Toronto College of Music and Royal Hamilton College of Music) and inaugurated a Faculty of Music to teach music and administer examinations. Along with his duties as music director of the Toronto Conservatory, Augustus Stephen Vogt was appointed Dean. “Courses of Instruction” were introduced, the first courses to be taught at the Faculty; which grew to offer courses with a full range of aspects involved with western music, including Jazz performance, ethnomusicology, and music and medicine.
In 1952, The Royal Conservatory of Music and the University of Toronto's Faculty of Music came under the same administration, placing a Dean in charge of both programs. The Conservatory would be known as The School of Music and was headed by a Principal. The Faculty of Music would be headed by a Director. In 1959 plans for an electronic music studio were announced, historically the second in a North American university. The Faculty regularly hosts events in one of its two theatres; MacMillan Theatre consisting of an 815-seat hall, designed for the production of operas and large ensemble concerts and named after former dean, Sir Ernest MacMillan. World-renowned for its excellent acoustics, and Walter Hall which commemorates Arnold Walter, Director of the Faculty from 1952-1968, Walter Hall was designed for chamber concerts and recitals. The house seats 490. The hall also contains a two-manual tracker-action Casavant organ.
In 1991, the School of Music/Royal Conservatory of Music separated and once again became its own institution.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Materials collected informally by the Music Library. Photographs, reference materials, and other ephemera that had been primarily collected, generated, and used by Edith Binnie (promotions officer, 1963-1984) added to the collection from the Faculty of Music in 2022.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Collection consists of promotional materials created and collected by the Faculty of Music, including newsletters, photographs, student publications, and other reference materials that reflect the activities of the faculty, staff, and students.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Collection arranged in seven series: (A) Newsletters; (B) Photographs; (C) Student publications; (D) Reference material collected by the publicity office; (E) Promotional material for faculty events; (F) Opera school; (G) Other promotional ephemera.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Last updated March 2023.