- 1946-present, 1965-present predominant (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
ca. 3925 events (1078 audio reels + 1146 audio cassettes + 1666 compact discs + ca. 2000 digital files + 3120 programs)
Name of creator
The Faculty of Music was created in 1918. The Senate of the University withdrew its affiliations with various music schools (Toronto College of Music and Royal Hamilton College of Music) and inaugurated a Faculty of Music to teach music and administer examinations. Along with his duties as music director of the Toronto Conservatory, Augustus Stephen Vogt was appointed Dean. “Courses of Instruction” were introduced, the first courses to be taught at the Faculty; which grew to offer courses with a full range of aspects involved with western music, including Jazz performance, ethnomusicology, and music and medicine.
In 1952, The Royal Conservatory of Music and the University of Toronto's Faculty of Music came under the same administration, placing a Dean in charge of both programs. The Conservatory would be known as The School of Music and was headed by a Principal. The Faculty of Music would be headed by a Director. In 1959 plans for an electronic music studio were announced, historically the second in a North American university. The Faculty regularly hosts events in one of its two theatres; MacMillan Theatre consisting of an 815-seat hall, designed for the production of operas and large ensemble concerts and named after former dean, Sir Ernest MacMillan. World-renowned for its excellent acoustics, and Walter Hall which commemorates Arnold Walter, Director of the Faculty from 1952-1968, Walter Hall was designed for chamber concerts and recitals. The house seats 490. The hall also contains a two-manual tracker-action Casavant organ.
In 1991, the School of Music/Royal Conservatory of Music separated and once again became its own institution.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Recordings transferred to the Music Library by the Faculty Recording Engineers.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Collection consists of recordings and programs of performances by by faculty members, students, student ensembles, and guest artists, at one of the Faculty of Music theatres (Walter Hall and MacMillan Theatre), and at other University venues.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Concerts are grouped into series by concert season, and into subseries based on the performers and concert series (e.g., Faculty and guest artists ; Faculty ensembles ; Jazz ; Student composers ; Thursday at Noon series ; Vocal studies series). Within each subseries, concerts are listed in the order that they were received by the Music Library.
Over the years, programs were collected in various ways: miscellaneous loose programs, origins unknown (1946-1986); in bound volumes by concert season, bound by the Music Library (1971-1996), including one volume for faculty events and another for student recitals and other large-format (8 1/2 in. x 11 in.) program pages, including the Thursday Afternoon Series; in binders, arranged in accession order and numbered with the recording identifier (1989-2013); and as digital transfers (PDF format) (2013-present). In addition to the programs digitized and itemized in this finding aid, the Faculty Events collection includes student recital programs (loose sheets, ca. 1967-1969; bound volumes, 1971-1996; binders, 1990-2003) and miscellaneous season calendars (1953-1977). Programs are arranged in chronological order on the shelf.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access copies are available to be streamed, for many of the events, by those with valid UTORid's. For other access purposes contact the Library. Events that do not have access copies available can be accessed by contacting the Music Library.
Conditions governing reproduction
Inquire at Music Library.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
From 1965 until about 1980, recordings were made on reel-to-reel tapes; reel-to-reel tapes were then replaced by audio cassettes, followed by compact discs in 1998. In 2013, concerts started to be recorded and stored digitally, with Flac preservation files and MP3 access copies. Starting in 2019, some concerts were also preserved as video, rather than, or in addition to, audio, recordings.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Where available, digital access copies of the audio or video recording and/or the program for the event are linked at the file-level.