Primary contact81 St. Mary Street
The Archives of the University of St. Michael's College preserves the official documents of the offices of USMC, which includes St. Michael's College, the Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, and the Faculty of Theology.
St. Michael’s College was founded in 1852 after the bishop of Toronto, Bishop Armand de Charbonnel, received permission from the Superior General of the Congregation of St. Basil to establish a Basilian educational institution in Toronto. Reverend J.M. Soulerin arrived in Toronto later in 1852 to establish the school with fellow Basilian priests. The College began teaching at three levels: high school, collège classique, and a minor seminary. Following a donation of land by John Elmsley from his Clover Hill estate in 1853, the College began classes in the newly constructed buildings in 1856.
In 1910, St. Michael’s College became a federated college of the University of Toronto, meaning undergraduate students would receive U of T degrees upon graduation. St. Michael’s College would continue to grant postgraduate degrees in theology. A few years later, St. Joseph’s College and Loretto College affiliated with the University and the female students began taking courses at St. Michael’s College, with classes became fully coeducational in 1952. St. Michael’s College School, the high school arm of SMC, was reorganized as a separate institution and relocated to its current location at Bathurst and St. Clair.
The University of St. Michael’s College Act was enacted in 1958, and granted the institution university status, changing to a federated university within the University of Toronto. The Mission of USMC is to be Canada’s leading English-speaking Catholic University.